Friday 12 March 2010

The mysterious Hebrew letters

I must recognize my ignorance and limited understanding of the current "cultural trends" but for me, Guy Ritchie is not a reference. I watched Snatch, and haven't laugh at all. Matter of humour. And, maybe I was more interested in his family/love story with Madonna.
Accidentally, I went recently to see Sherlock Holmes, his latest achievement. London under the threat of a terrible conspiracy, is saved, of course, by Sherlock Holmes. The stories of Conan Doyle, a bit too soft for our daily culture faced every minute with reports about various kind of petty or big criminality are put in an apocaliptic scenario, more "cool" for the nowadays "sensibility". A big success probably among the fans of various apocalyptic sceneries.
In-between various fights and plots, my attention was attracted by the presence of the Hebrew alike letters in various rituals introduced in the movie as part of the dangerous conspiracy aiming to conquer the world. The "Jewish" element is appearing as well in Snatch, where the thieves are dressed as Hassidic Jews from Antwerp, one of the most important centers of the diamonds' industry. Almost neutral presence. But, in the case of Sherlock Holmes, the Hebrew/Jewish aspect is associated with the "evil", the "conspiracy", the "hunger for power". Sounds familiar, isn't it?

No comments: