Tuesday 26 July 2016

Yom Yerushalaim in Jerusalem

"There is no better place to celebrate Yom Yerushalaim than Jerusalem", my friend from Tel Aviv told me, a sound of jealousy in her voice. Indeed, I was wondering myself of my luck, of finally being in Jerusalem on this occasion. With a limited time and not in the mood to follow the official celebrations path - concerts and public gatherings in various parks, I decided to just go out in the central area and watch the people.

From noon on, groups of young people with Israeli flags started to enter the city, mostly from Gush Etzion and Shomron, singing and dancing in the street. The spirit of joy from the 28 Iyar in 1967 when after thousands of years, the holy city of Jerusalem was united again was in the air.

For some religious communities, Yom Yerushalaim is considered even more important than the Yom HaAtzmaut, with the Hallel prayer recited and day-long celebrations organised. This year, despite the heat, the joy embraced the streets and the groups of youngsters were joined by stand-byers of all ages and degree of religious observance. Such moments show the unity despite the many differences. Indeed, I was very lucky to spend this very special day in the very special city.  

No comments: