Friday 2 December 2011

Book Review: The Pages In Between

When I started reading this memoir, it was hard to stop me to run to the end. A memoir about Shoah and Poland, American Jews discovering their roots and old antinomies, what can this book bring new? This was the reason why I kept this book isolated on my shelf for a couple of months.
It was my mistake and only my mistake, because the book is good written, with a honest journalistic flavor. You are introduced into the story of all non-fictional the characters part of the sad history of our 20 century Europe with a lot of attention and ambiance details. While reading, I really felt like moving around Poland observing their newly discovered enthusiasm for the Jewish culture, entering the house of Erin's mother and trying to understand the reasons behind her mother's "savior". From various reasons, I also understood her mother's silences and Erin's regrets for not having her mother alongside during this fundamental journey. And I agree that in our quest for not forgetting the perpetrators, we don't have to forget the victims, their histories and sad days of not knowing their past or of trying to forget it.
A recommended reading for Shabbat and in a month where more than ever we are looking for more light in our life and words.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: