Sunday 30 December 2012

What I don't want to hear and see at shul

It does not matter in what part of the Globe I am spending Shabbos or how focused I am on davening, there are a couple of small little things that will make my life a little bit bitter when I see or hear.

1. Phone ringing on Shabbos. During the shul or during the dvar Torah moments. Loud ringing that will not stop even if the owner does not answer - by shame or because not sure that it is his/her phone. And it is even a step further: when people do answer their phones as loudly or even more loudly as it sounded before.

2. People talking during davening. I don't care what do they want to say and in what language, but I can't understand why the very important ideas should be shared loudly when at least some of us look busy doing other things. There is always enough space outside when you can even clap your hands listening to so many gossips.

3. People writing notes, memories, books whatever they want to. At shul. Writing with such a frenesy that it seems that tomorrow is the end of the world and they need to leave to posterity their precious memories. 

4. People fighting. Beating their children or admonishing their spouses. You have 6 days the week to do it at home. Please, take a break. Please.

5. People stealing food from the kiddush table, hiding in a very professional way under napkins and then, slowly slowly till the bagel arrives in the bag. It is not depressing for me whom I see, but also humiliating for the person doing it. Rather one should talk to the rav and try to find a decent solution than steal professionally my piece of food from my plate when I am too much interested in the dvar Torah.

6. Discussions about the way one daven, dress, wig, the lenght of the skirt, the last shidduch and how the husband looks like. Nobody's perfect and this is why I wear my best Shabbes clothes and go to the shul to daven once the week, for 5-6 hours. Can you be so kind and leave my alone in my corner without wondering how and why I am so frum overnight. Please.

Shavua Tov!


No comments: