Saturday 6 February 2016

Jewish App Review: Eshet Chayl

I am relatively new in the world of apps and smart phones in general, and due to my very limited time, I am trying as much as possible to do things fast and invest a minimal amount of time in unuseful phone distractions. However, I am always looking for smart apps and things that can make my (Jewish) life better. 
A couple of days ago, an announcement of the Eshet Chayil app pop-up on my social media feed and decided to give it a try. I downloaded it for free. Launched the 25th of January this year, it is available for both iPhone and Android. I tried the Android version.
The installation is very easy and within a couple of minutes the app was on my phone. It does not have a special design or graphics. It was published by Sephardic Press, under the category of Women's Prayer Apps and it follows the laws and customs of the Aleppo Syrian Community. However, it does not have any references to the customs as such. It is published in Hebrew, with English explanations and translation. It has minimal functions, such as Zoom, Bookmarking, Fullscreen.
The content of the app is relatively basic, with the usual prayers for every day and holidays - although there is a special mention not to use the app on Shabbat, I am still not very happy with the idea of having the Shabbes and yom tov prayers on the phone at all. Another issue I have is with praying from an app as such - although I come along with the birkat hamazon though - but this is the topic of another post, I hope.
There are also special prayers and brachot for women, such as for going to mikve or for candle lightning or before taking challa. What I really liked in the case of this app was the last section, with the special prayers - on behalf of the husband, during labor, upon entering the hospital, for children material and spiritual success. Even only for these and I still recommend this app. After all, you do not need too much technical sophistication, only a quality yet simple framework and reliable information.

No comments: