Thursday 23 April 2009

Exercises of style

A couple of things about my reading choices - all of them are starting with a negation: I do not usually read history novels (it is easier for me to understand history through pure historical and qualified researches, and even less the books with religious subjects. Also, I think twice before starting to read a Nobel prize in literature writer. When I see in the big libraries the rows with books and smiling pictures with big announcements: "The ... Nobel Prize Winner", I go to another section. (So, no Le Clezio for the moment). In the case of Lagerkvist's case I found the book accidentally on a shelf in a friend's library, opened and read a couple of paragraphs. Very good and even brilliant descriptions which encouraged me to read further. But I missed the plot, the interpretation and the narrative. It is nothing complicate, but simply haven't seen the intelligence of the writing, other than a certain religious interpretation. Which I could appreciate strictly from the literary quality of the words.


No comments: