Wednesday 16 November 2011

Strange times

I didn't read too many news lately, but as usual, when it happens I am overwhelmed by various kind of information. This time there were bad and worrying news, but not surprising in many ways. And at the end, it may be an optimistic conclusion as well.

I started my journey reading about the hate crimes in Brooklyn. Brooklyn, one of my favorite place on earth, where I will ever think with affection. How it is possible to be the scenery of such unthinkable actions? Couple of month ago, when we welcomed my American friends from Brooklyn in Europe, I envied their easiness to wear a kippah in Europe, and reminded how natural is there to freely express your identity. But, it doesn't mean is risk-free...

Maybe we'd forgot - or never knew about - the anti-Semitism of the earlier 20th century America, when Jews were running the pogroms and the Nazis - and weren't allowed to enter the country - and the other outbursts of extreme behavior in the 60s - the red left never was Jewish-friendly, by the way (maybe you ask yourself what about Occupy WS movement? I fully recommend to get rid of any hopes). For many of my friends, Brooklyn is safe, welcoming and more Jewish than any other places in the world. You can buy kosher, go to shuls and speak in Yiddish or Hebrew. But, overall, it's nothing but another artificial paradise of the galut where we aren't protected at all against violence and anti-Semitic aggression.

I continued my media wondering reading a lot about Hungary and Central Europe and realizing how far the far right went in one of the countries whose intellectuals I will always appreciate. Europe never been a safe and welcoming place for Jews and the latest official welcome of far right parties into the European Parliament and the daily political life of Europe didn't surprise me (Italy included). As an observation, many of those far-right parties are extremely worried about the fate of poor Palestinians, as their friends from Occupy WS.

9 November 2011 was the day celebrating the 73rd anniversary of Kristallnacht and the German media dedicated several media coverage, including a report regarding the anti-Semitic support within the population. But shortly after, more worrisome were the news that neo-Nazi cells operated and murdered for years across the country, including with the support of some representatives of the police. There were some arrests and some "calls" for creating a database on extremists, but it's never enough for considering the danger is gone.

And, if you listen to me, the danger was never gone. Anywhere. But since 1948, we have our place to go and live!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: