Wednesday 18 January 2012

Kyrkyzstan, why not? But Israel...

I work on Sundays and for me this day of the week is one of the busiest - take into consideration also the difficuties of coping with the post-Shabbes readjustment. But still, I reserve always one hour or two for reading some travel, funny articles, as a source of inspiration for my lazy writing. 

Last Sunday, I've found this article about Jerusalem, in the New York Times. The author is enthusiastically expressing his feeling about keeping himself on the road - nice, I said, I love this too. And he outlined: "As a Jew, especially one who travels constantly, I was expected at least to have the Jewish state on my radar, if not to be planning a pilgrimage in the very near future." Even Iran or Montenegro are looking more appealing to him. And he goes on and on, mentioning again how secular he is, and visits Jerusalem and is happy to find human people with whom he can talk. Anyway, in order to keep himself on the line, he is first visiting some non-Jewish places and he's very happy to recommend it. (His message: You know, I am not as bad). I didn't find the piece an amazing article well written, but was not surprise at all by the words - and the medium. I've read previously many bad articles spotting overrated places, but as they don't pay too much for their contributions at the travel section (you may be happy with a $25 for freelancing staff), I'd kept the observations to myself. Plus, at the end, the author looks as changing his mind and this may be a good beginning. And, mission accomplished: he went to Jerusalam, maybe he will return and why not, he will decide to change his life.

Yesterday, David Harris replied to the piece in The Huffington Post, criticizing the content of the article and the choice of the author.

I do not want to defend anyone and actually I am reading daily so much crap and self-denial and misinterpretations that nothing may surprise me. What it is obvious in many of these positions is the lack of education and understanding of Judaism. Many people introducing themselves as "Secular" and "intellectuals" never had the opportunity to meet people with high education, able to share their knowledge and get people closer to the Torah. The fault is not only on one side.

I am reading right now another interesting book of Rabbi Jonathan Sacks about Jewish continuity. Shoah and the galut put at hard trial our belief and knowledge. We stop being Jews by choice or by the force of the events. But, it doesn't mean that resuming our position to criticize those who are different may absolve our responsibility. We should do our best to have them on our side, with their past, differences and points of view. 



No comments: