Sunday 17 January 2016

Circumcision, by Jackson Pollock or what is in a name

I am not at all a bit fan of Jackson Pollock and very often I am not in the mood for his works. Very often I found his paintings disturbing, emotionally disbalanced and not easy to grasp. 
I visited though recently an exhibition presenting his works and surprisingly I stopped in the front of a work of him that I was not familiar with, Circumcision. Finished in 1946, the painting is considered by the art critics as a moment of independence from Picasso. The painting is following different directions, without a center. Each area has its own importance, given by the strong touch of the brush. Signs that reminds of the primitive art, such as eyes or arrows are spread over the surface of the canvas. While I was usuccessfully looking around the painting over and over again trying to make a connection between the name of the painting and the content, I fell in love with the special combination of colours, the gold yellow and the sweet salmon pink spread between the big patches of blue and light white. But at the end of my visit at the exhibition, I was not advancing any inch of knowledge towards finding the traces of the circumcision.Why Pollock, who grew up in a presbyterian family chosed this title?
Intrigued, I continued my search online trying to find some special art critique interpretation. Thus, I realized how void I was, obsessively trying to connect the title with a hidden meaning. Things were in fact much easier than expected. The title 'Circumcision' was suggested to Pollock after the painting was ready by his wife, Lee Krasner. An interesting painter herself, she was born in a Jewish-Russian family that emigrated to United States. Her connection to Judaism was not very manifested but it surged again in this moment of creative inspiration. 
Meanwhile, I am still trying to understand this painting

No comments: