Monday 16 May 2022

Get Ready for a Summer of Gazoz


In full honesty, I don´t like - I deeply despise actually - most of gazoz - a word of Turkish origin desining ´gas´ - based drinks. I am not even a big friend of champagne...lame, I know, I know, I know...

But I cannot resist to think about new creative way to drink my summer, especially when my summer - compared with the long friendly Tel Aviv summer - is usually very short. Finding for inspiration that may help improve my hobby bartender skills is always a good idea, especially when one of the author of the collection of various gazoz recipes is Adeena Sussman, the popular chef of Sababa fame. The other author of Gazoz is Benny Briga who brought back in fashion in Tel Aviv the old soda. 

The drinks offered in the book do use a big variety of spices, ingredients, confits and fermented fruits. They are inspired by various seasonal harvest and by the local flora diversity. Fruits are combined with herbs and spices and flowers and as someone almost addicted to everything roses I am sure will dream by night about different drinks including rose petals as their featured ingredient. 

More than the recipes - which are relatively easy, only the ingredients may be a bit problematic to acquire if living outside Israel and the Middle East - in themselves, those sparkling soda glasses do share stories. Think about the rosewater syrup your grandma made for you, all the jams made of the fruits picked up fresh from your garden or the herbs your neighbour decided to share with you. In every glass, besides spices and a drop of syrup, there is so much humanity too.

After all, there may be a ´fizzy power of bubbles´ that I am willingly staying away of it...for now.

No comments: