Saturday 21 February 2009

Bad luck with sports

I've read lately various blogs and posts of men about the grotesque and unpleasant experiences encountered with women on JDate. For the sake of objectivity, I can confess I went through similar (bad, and mostly bad taste) episodes.

I started this on-line dating adventure with no prior thoughts. A nickname and vague references about yourself are offering a minimum safety of getting in trouble in the real world and I hoped that, it was a chance to identify from a huge database of opportunities my very small and special target-group. But, all I got after one year of serious approach and daily exercise was the conclusion that the high IQ single men must hide somewhere else. I don't know yet where.

One of the first contacts with this unusual universe was a guy, whose profile indicated he's high educated, socially active and with an impressive career. He started to send me an IM asking me directly "Do you like sports?" I was a bit surprised, because I am this old-type kind of person used to start a conversation, with known and unknown people with at least the classical "hi". but, anyway, maybe the guy was at gym and was planning some special sports gathering. Still, I was challenged by this plain question. To tell him or not the truth? The only sports I'm practicing are jogging, city biking and sometimes some gym, but rather at the very practical level, not something I really liked. And, because for me keeping the record of lies is quite neurons-consuming, I answered candidly: "No". For him to reply back, instantly: "No?"

How challenging! In two minutes we are just trying to get further a conversation started dead. And, I was about to fail this - it seems - important, very important test. So, I wrote back on a self-ironic tone how my relationship with sports was never a good one and blablabla. After another minute or two, he answered on a very professional and distant tone: "I'm very sorry for you (what I'm gonna do now, I missed the chance of my life), but I'm interested ONLY in women who like sports". And closed the window, as to run as far away as possible of such a looser. And I logged out. It was enough for one day.

To be continued.

No comments: