Wednesday 19 October 2011

Seminary refuses to admit Sephardi girls

This is the kind of news I don't like to read at all. As somebody used with both traditions and happy with this rewarding situation, selecting the best from each - and I am not talking only about the gorgeous Sephardi meals, even though meals also are sending an important identity message, but also about music, literature and talmudic traditions - I can't stand the narrowmindness of rejecting another person, especially children, because of the color of their skin of the place of birth of their parents.

I dare to say that the problems are faced not only by the Sephardi girls, but also by Sephardi boys looking to enrol in some yeshivas. And the examples could continue.

However, I consider that it is also a good message in this story: the Separdis should mobilize more resources - including of financial nature - and more energies to create their own elites, to outline their traditions and, of course, to learn more in order of being able to create their own institutions and educational systems. I wish the final result will not be the exclusion of Askenazim.

Seeing the high number of young Sephardi eager to learn more Torah in the yeshivas from Jerusalem or elsewhere, I am optimistic and I trust their open mind and humour. Mistakes are human.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: