Sunday 4 September 2011

Meeting Yoram Kaniuk

Although not the biggest fan of reading in German, I appreciate the book not only by the language of the cover, but by the opportunity of finding and discovering new worlds and new words. Till my Hebrew will move graciously enough for not needing a dictionary every 20 words, I must appreciate the early education and the many foreign languages I've been exposed to from various reasons.
Kaniuk's thriller was my first meeting with this sometimes exotic writer. A former Palmach fighter under the command of Yitzhak Rabin, he continues to be an important writer from the old generation of intellectuals, formed befored the creation of the state of Israel.
The book is a thriller ingeniously introducing the dream as part of the daily tension of the story. The curious investigation in the quest of a perpetrator of a terrorist attack in a Tel Aviv pub is leading not to an Arab, as it was suggested, but to a fellow Israeli. The parallel with Rabin's assasination is clearly purposed. Beyond the various political and sociological references to daily life in Israel, I loved the book for the suspense and creative construction of the narrative. An interesting thriller from an author I would like to discover more.

No comments: